Hotel.info Do Not Disturb Campaign: The Future of Hotels is Green
By Rodney Perez, Hotel.info
According to the UN World Tourism Organization, the tourism industry accounts for 5% of global CO2 emissions. The hotel industry alone contributes 23% of that total 5% and only trails car and air travel. It might not sound like much but if we take into account that the CO2 emissions produced could increase by as much as 150% by 2030, the future starts looking bleak.
What would happen if all hotels went green? We set out to answer that very question and came up with an alarming, albeit hopeful, data visualization called “The Future of Hotels is Green”. But hotels cannot go green without their guests’ help.
Add This Infographic to Your Site
*The campaign will run from April 12th to May 9th.
Get Involved and Make a Difference
Join the “Do Not Disturb” campaign and take accountability for your environmental impact. By leaving the “Do Not Disturb” sign even when you’re not in the hotel room, you can help save 6,000 gallons of water per day in an average 150-room hotel.
Follow these simple steps:
1. Leave the “Do Not Disturb” sign after leaving your hotel room. If your stay is shorter than 3 days, chances are you will be able to reuse your towels and linens.
2. Take a picture of your action! Show us your “Do Not Disturb” sign and personalize it: “donotdisturbcampaign”.
3. Join our social media channels:
- Follow us on Facebook, upload your picture on our wall and share it with your friends!
- Follow us on Twitter, upload your picture under the hash tag #donotdisturbcampaign, let us know @dontdisturbsign and motivate your followers to take action!
- Follow us on Pinterest, upload your picture, repin other donotdisturb photos and motivate your friends to take action!
- Follow us on Google+, and join our group Do Not Disturb Campaign on Linkedin and interact with our community and share it with your network.
4. Leave a message on your favorite celebrity’s or politician’s twitter account asking them to join the movement. Movie stars, artists, performers and politicians spend a lot of time on the road and perhaps stay in hotels more than the average person. They, too, can help!
By following these simple steps you will help spread the word and save the environment to celebrate Earth Day on April 22. As an added bonus, one participant in the “Do Not Disturb” campaign will be chosen at random to receive a complimentary stay in a certified green hotel, close to the winner’s location. See Terms and Conditions.
More Things to Consider when Traveling
Help us make a difference and go the extra mile: Leaving the Do Not Disturb sign is just one small step in making our travels more eco-friendly.
- Use public transportation whenever possible.
- Rent a bicycle and discover the city on two wheels.
- Once you’ve reached your destination, discover the town on foot.
- Visit organic grocery stores and buy local food and seasonal vegetables and fruit.
- Find out how you can give back to the community you’re visiting and how to reduce your carbon footprint.
In your hotel:
- Unplug appliances even when they aren’t on.
- Pack your own toiletries.
- Take shorter showers.
- Provide feedback to your hotel manager. Let them know of any other green practices the hotel could be applying and provide positive feedback on the current sustainable practices.
The infographic “The Future of Hotels is Green” is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. You may re-publish on your website provided that you include a link back to the original article as found in the embed code.